Chapter 3 - Y-beam Assembly
Parts for the KRMx01 Y-Axis
These three images just show all the parts needed to complete the KRMx01 Y-beams. I purchased my 80/20 parts pre-cut from the site that Michael suggested. But along with it you see all the hardware needed to assemble it together and the four pieces of 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle needed to create the bases of the Y-beams.
Assembling the bolts for the uprights
I though I would start with something simple and get the threaded rod pieces assembled with the T slot oval nuts and washer, lock washer and nuts. These will be needed when the assembly gets put together. It was a little frosty in the man cave when I started out, so I thought this would be a good job to do while I was drinking coffee and warming up to the work ahead so to speak. :-)
Drilling the Angle Iron base pieces
Here I have set up one of the angle iron parts to be drilled. I don't have a lot of room in my shop and had to improvise on the set up a little bit because I have a small drill press. I marked the piece and used a center punch to make a dimple to help guide the drill. I used cutting oil and took my time. I did not have any issues from not clamping the material down. One thing you do not see in these images is that I have a paint can and some 3/4" MDF pieces supporting the angle iron on the end. This stack is made up so as to hold the angle level as possible. Once the dimple was lined up with the 1/8" pilot bit, there really wasn't much to do but drill the hole. I finished two of these today. When you drill an 1/8" inch pilot holes then the 3/8" holes for each piece, by the time your done, lining them up and drilling becomes second nature. Man there are a lot of holes!
Bottom angle ground, drilled and cleaned
Here are the bottom angle iron pieces. There are holes a plenty to drill here. Twenty-eight holes per piece, each one of them center punched, drilled with an 1/8" pilot and followed through with a 3/8" bit. I should take a picture of all the swarf around my little drill press. These 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle will add a lot of weight and rigidity to the machine. Michael Simpson, the designer, was smart in selecting a heavy material for the Y-Axis of the machine.
Painting the Y-beam base angles
Here I have painted the insides of the base angles. This is three coats and could perhaps use one more. I am out of paint again, so will have to get more to finish the job. It is hard to tell if they look good in the picture or not because my drop cloth is getting pretty red from the over spray. Once they are done I will get a picture of them by themselves on the black table.
Finished painting the Y-beam Angles
Here are the Y-beam angle finally painted. I forgot to mention, the month on the images should be 11 not 10. When the battery died last time, I messed up the month setting when I put the batteries in. Anyway, I must admit, I really like the red. Melissa done a good job of selecting it. Originally I was leaning toward Blue or Green, but this is better. Next I will need to drill the uprights that get bolted between these angles.
Drilling the uprights.
When I first started to work on the uprights, I cut a drill template on my JGRO CNC machine. I actually even taped it to a piece if the 80/20 and stared to drill. I did not like the control I had on it. On my small machine, I have neither a fence (although I suppose I could build one.) nor enough room to clamp them down. I took another approach instead. I placed the upright between the angles and clamped it into position, then I drilled the holes from each side. When I finished a hole, I would put a bolt through it. When there were two bolts (the top ones) in each upright I clamped a piece of angle across the bottom to make sure that the upright was exactly at the level of the base of the angle. (flush with it.) Once I was happy the bolts were tightened down and then done the same to the next upright. When I had all four upright done like this I went ahead and drilled the middle two holes, added the bolts and made sure the work didn't slip. I proceeded like this until all four of the uprights had the 6 holes drilled and the bolts in place. The second image shows them all bolted together. It looks pretty nice.
Adding the top beam to the assembly
The image to the left shows the top beam with the threaded rod bolts in place and ready to go on the top of the uprights. This job wasn't too bad. I clamped a piece of angle to the inside to assure that the beam was flush and pre-set a square to the required five inches. After a little twiddling and resetting, the beam was in place and locked down. Here in the second picture you see the left Y-beam completed. One down and one to go.
The completed Y-beams
Here are a couple of views of the completed Y-beams for the KRMx01 CNC Machine. They are sitting on blocks because of the bolts extending underneath. These units are heavy and pretty rigid. I think they are going to work great. When compared to my original JGRO CNC machine, this one is much more rigid. I am starting to get excited about the project even though there is a LOT more to do. This concludes this chapter. I will see you in the next chapter where we finish up the table and add the rails.